Friday, February 5, 2010

Step by Step Basic Risotto

I  love Risotto. I really do. There is something so magical about the way simple ingredients transform the way they do. There is also a meditative aspect from the rhythm of stirring the rice as you do. The best part is that you can make it as a side dish, or you can make it as a main dish as I do when I am too lazy to do anything else! Once you know how to make a basic Risotto, you are set. You can add anything else or make any other recipe once you know the technique.

* For this, you will want to bring to a boil 8 cups of chicken broth or stock (and then reduce to a simmer)
* Also, dice one medium onion or two smallish shallots (I love the flavor and aroma of shallots, especially when you use lemon as I did)
* 1.5 cups of Arborio rice

 
In a 12 inch sautée pan (you want one with at least an inch and a half in depth), bring a bit of extra virgin olive oil to a shimmer between medium and medium high. Add your shallot or onion to the pan, and cook until they become less opaque.


One you have cooked your shallot or onion, add your Arborio rice to the pan, and sautée that until the rice also becomes less opaque. With these two steps you want to work fairly quickly because you don't want anything to burn. You will also want to make sure you are dedicated to this dish, attention-wise, because it needs to be constantly stirred until it is done from here on out.

As soon as you have the first two ingredients to the pan, you will start to add your broth to the mix, and you will want to probably bring your temperature up to a full medium-high. Add one ladle (about a 1/2 cup) at a time, letting it become absorbed by the rice. As soon as the liquid is more or less absorbed, add another one, stirring constantly (otherwise it will stick and burn). Proceed this way until you reach the end of your broth (or near it - I use nearly all 8 cups, but not all). You'll know you are nearing completion when it becomes creamier and thicker. Your half-way point looks about like this, although the steam was keeping it from a really clear picture:


When I neared the end, I added in the juice of 2-3 lemons, and 3/4 cup of fresh Parmiggiano Reggiano. When I served it, it looked like this:

 


Enjoy!

No comments: