Monday, January 9, 2012

January Wipocalypse Update


For the first update, I've been steadily working on Papillon Creations' "How Does Your Garden Grow". As you can see I am nearly done with it. I thought I would have a happy dance for this update, but thought it best to invest a little "kitchen clean-up time" before proceeding. Darn kitchen chores.

As you can see, I am just about done with this. I am currently working on section 11 out of 12. I've got my mind set to next things work on... and since I've been so diligent about killing my WIPS lately, I think I will treat myself to a few new starts next weekend. After all, it *is* Guilt Free January!

Speaking of which, please discuss... what are your thoughts on scroll frames for stitching? I normally use Q-Snaps, but I am going to start a big sampler that I think will not be well suited for Q Snaps. For that matter, I've been working those Long Dog Samplers, and I just don't like working on such a big Q Snap held in my hand/propped up so I don't have to hold it. Or is there a lap stand that is compatible with Q Snaps (I seem to recall there was?) I LOVE the tension that Q Snaps offer, so whatever I use has to be comparable to that. I'd love your thoughts on this.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply beautiful

as for the question about scroll frames & Qsnaps - afraid I can't help you there. I use a hoop occasionally but otherwise stitch without

Sara Leigh said...

I like scroll frames better than QSnaps, but that's a personal preference. For really big projects, though, I think scroll frames are more manageable. You might look into a Z-Frame lap stand, which a lot of people like. For really large pieces, though, a floorstand is sometimes better. My personal favorite is the Lowery floorstand because it's got a small footprint, fits with most any chair/sofa, and is very simply constructed. Not cheap, though.

robindefender said...

I love that bright, colorful piece, and hope you get a chance to finish soon.

I stitch in hand unless I'm doing pulled thread or cutwork, so I'm afraid I am of no use regarding the q snap/frame question.

Unknown said...

Love your piece! I use scroll frames and Q-snaps, and I think for really large pieces, scroll frames are the best. And I agree with Sara lap stands are necessary.

Ziggyeor said...

I bought a scroll frame for my large projects. I have never used a Q snap though so don't know how it compares. I keep my project in a pillow case to try and keep it clean.

Alesia Matson said...

What a lovely project you're about to finish! :) I adore the colors in it, so cool and refreshing!

I think you're wise to consider that different projects require different equipment. My husband made my floor stand for me and I love it for my BAPs. But for smaller projects, I favor plastic hoops, with screw fasteners or spring metal depending on the size of the project.

What I like about the scroll bars/floorstand arrangement is that I can actually stitch with two hands. I don't know that it's any faster, but it's certainly easier on my right arm and shoulder. :) If you're concerned about proper horizontal tension, one company makes fabric snaps that fasten onto the fabric and help stretch it horizontally. They partially match the vertical tension the scroll bars provide.

Anonymous said...

Lovely stitching, the colours are so pretty.

I tend to use Q Snaps more often than not these days, and always use my Needlework System 4 stand. However, I have stitched huge Chatelaines and found it far easier to put them on a scroll frame. My hubby custom made me a scroll frame long enough to cope with a Chatelaine, very useful.

Pam said...

Love the colors on this, they're so bright!

Nicole said...

Thank you all for your feedback... I've been checking out the Lowery stand, and it really speaks to me. Now I know what to save my pennies for! And yes, I will likely switch to some sort of scroll frame for the BAP I am working on.

Marcy said...

How pretty! I love the colors.
I'm not a big Q Snaps fan. I prefer scrolls (for large projects) or a hoop (for small ones).

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

No thoughts on scroll frames versus Q snaps, Nicole - I've used both, and always end up going back to my 6" embroidery hoop :)

Nice start on your WIPacolypse - I'm afraid that I was too lazy to commit to it, but I'll be watching everyone's progress pictures!